Monday, February 7, 2011

Brokenness is painful

The pathway is broken
And the signs are unclear
And I don't know the reason why you brought me here
But just because You love me the way that You do
I will go through the valley
If You want me to

Now I'm not who I was
When I took my first step
And I'm clinging to the promise
You're not through with me yet
So if all of these trials bring me closer to You
I will go through the fire
If You want me to

It may not be the way I would have chosen
When you lead me through a world that's not my own
But You never said it would be easy
You only said I'll never go alone

So when the whole world turns against me
And I'm all by myself
And I can't hear You answer my cries for help
I'll remember the suffering Your love put You through
And I will go through the valley
If You want me to

"If You Want Me To": Ginny Owens

Lord, I feel like I have been walking through that valley. It has been a desert and I have been thirsting, but instead of looking to You I have sought other things, working on the house, getting the next ministry event planned. Anything but sitting at your feet broken.

Being broken is painful. Sitting still is uncomfortable. I do not know how to rest in you. Yet that is where I need to be right now. It might be painful for a moment, but healing can only come after the splinter has been removed.

Shattering the idols of my heart makes me defensive. Using other people's remarks to point out those idols is painful. I have become so complacent with them sitting on my shelves that I no longer see them. I worship them without knowledge and give you the scraps. Shame on me! Then I have the nerve to complain of the blessings I see others have and completely overlook the blessings You have so richly showered upon me. How dare I! My arrogance and pride are like a toy a small child clings to. In doing so it keeps you are arms length. Forgive me...

Thank You, Father, that Your love covers my sins. In You I am forgiven and free. There is no condemnation for me because I am in you. Teach me to walk in assurance of that promise. You have proven, over and over again, that You are trustworthy. Remind me of your promises. Take the idols I have put up and smash them to pieces. Remove the hold they have on me by Your Grace. Deal with me gently, Father. Brokenness is painful. But heading Your voice makes it necessary and the healing that comes afterward is so sweet. Thank You...

No comments:

Post a Comment