Wednesday, February 9, 2011

More Idols

Sunday Brooks said that we can identify our idols when people get in the way of them and we long to fight.

Today was a rough day. It is never easy to make an executive decision. It is even harder when you are in the process of explaining why you made that decision and one of the people's body language is practically yelling at you that they don't agree. Then to find out that you have been the topic of gossip through out the day all because of it... One more idol is graciously pointed out to me by the Lord.

I care way to much about what people think of me. I desire to be viewed as competent, self assured and most of all I want people to like me, think I am cool. Not that I am sure I have ever been cool. :)

So the question becomes how will I allow God to use this to make me into Christ's image? He was despised and rejected by men, even though he was their Creator. Yeah, you could say He was competent, with a capital C. How could He not be self assured? He was doing His Father's will. But people didn't like Him. He pointed out their flaws. He challenged their point of view. He was Holy and they were not. Now I am not saying that any of those things apply to me! I am saying, why do I think that I am any better than Jesus. He experienced hurt feelings, great grief, loneliness and was mocked. Why do I think that I will get through this life without experiencing the same things?

Whether the decision I made today was right or wrong. It doesn't matter. What matters is how will I react to being gossiped about and ridiculed. Will I whine and complain, or will I turn to Jesus and tell Him, "Thank you that you experience the same thing (to a worse degree) and yet did not sin." I choose the latter.

Thank You, Jesus. You have used this to show me that one more idol I have is how people view me. Thank You that I know how you view me. I am Yours and nothing in this world can snatch me from your hand. In You there is freedom and grace that covers all my feelings. You know my heart and You are much bigger than my circumstances. You are the only one worthy of sitting on the throne of my life. Move everything and everyone else aside and take your rightful place. I love you...

No comments:

Post a Comment